Re: 16 mb problem

Ogz wrote:

Hi. I have a small ancient laptop:

cpu: 586
ram: 16mb
hdd: 786 mb

I wanted to install Debian to it, and tried Woody. After the basic
system installation finished, i decided to install a graphic
environment. Some volunteers were: icewm and windowmaker.

apt-get install icewm finished without errors. Then i realised it
requires an X environment (why it didnt install x-window-system during
apt-get install icewm if it depends on it?) so i tried apt-get install
x-window-system. It didnt finished succesfully. Now i want to install
a graphic environment to that machine. What do you suggest? Do i have
to install x-window-system, is there any window-environment that
doesnt require x-window package?

Oğuz
Try just installing x-window-system core, thats the minimum required. I used fluxbox + x-window-system core on a P1 75Mhz laptop with 16mb ram and 500Mb hard disk and it worked without problems