Re: A notebook for Debian?

Nate Bargmann wrote:

Speaking of which, I received a private email that ALSA may be able to
drive the Conextant modem in the T42 directly.  So far I've not
received further details.

Ahh, I'll admit it. That was from me.
Here's what I do know, and what I don't...

I have an eMachines laptop with what I'm pretty sure is a Conextant Winmodem in it. I could have remembered that part wrong. Under Gentoo (months ago) I noticed it "just worked" using the ALSA drivers.

Since then I moved my laptop back to my favorite distro (Debian), and haven't had any chance to try to figure out how that modem was working using only ALSA.

I promised the "other" Nate that I'd look at the laptop and see if ALSA was finding the modem (which I almost never use) and how it was configured.

I haven't even turned on the laptop this week, as flooding from Hurricane Wilma has been wreaking some minor havoc on the telecommunications network in Florida, and I've been on late-night conference calls to juggle things around so the world doesn't notice any outages. :-) Telco techs: We stay up all night so you don't have to. (GRIN)

Well, that and... I *had* to go to the Colorado Avalanche hockey game last night to watch them beat Houston with 45 seconds to spare. I even had to miss the first period of the game because of another conference call. But the game-winning and extra goals scored in the last minute more than made up for that! (GRIN)

I'll try to remember to look at the laptop tonight.

By the way, this page shows the IBM T42 having an Intel AC97 modem controller in the dmesg output... and has this to say about the modem:

http://wiki.version6.net/T42

-----
Modem

0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
         Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 055a
         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
         I/O ports at 2400
         I/O ports at 2000 [size=128]

It is possible to use SmartLink Linux driver slmodem-2.9.10.tar.gz. It does let use AT commands but not tested yet with phone line. README also says that intel8x0m modem driver also supports with this model. For that alsa-driver>=1.0.2 and kernel>=2.6.5 are necessary.

-----

And I got that link from -- http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html

Hope that's helpful!

Nate