Re: proxim/orinoco silver issue

Robert Neff <neff@opus.labs.agilent.com> writes:

> I am using the same card, except re-branded as a Dell 1150, on a
> fresh Sarge install as well, but do not have a wired ethernet port.
>
> I think in my case hotplug will load the modules after I plug in the
> card.  After plugging in the card I found that the modules were
loaded
> without any special setup.

Hotplug is not running, as far as I can tell.  I did make sure that it
was installed and apt-get tells me that it is at the latest version.

> I think the thing to do is not load the modules, plug in the cards,
> and then look to see if those modules have been loaded.

checked and they are not loaded.

post insertion

kernel cs lines from the last 50 lines of /var/log/messages

Oct 12 19:54:23 laptop kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff:
excluding 0x170-0x177 0x370-0x37f
Oct 12 19:54:23 laptop kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
Oct 12 19:54:23 laptop kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
Oct 12 19:54:23 laptop kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
Oct 12 20:08:14 laptop kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff:
clean.

and the failure line

Oct 12 20:08:15 laptop kernel: eth2: failed to read MAC address!

laptop:~/hda8/rdc# lsmod | grep  orinoco
orinoco_cs              9320  0
orinoco                44012  1 orinoco_cs
hermes                  8640  2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
ds                     18756  3 orinoco_cs
pcmcia_core            70868  3 orinoco_cs,ds,yenta_socket

> In my case all my network setup was done in /etc/network/interfaces
> but I did not have to worry about another eth*
>
> what happens if you ifdown eth0, and then plug in the card?  >

same thing.  the message about the failed to find mac addr.

Here is the output of lsmod now:
laptop:~/hda8/rdc# lsmod | grep orinoco
orinoco_cs              9320  0
orinoco                44012  1 orinoco_cs
hermes                  8640  2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
ds                     18756  3 orinoco_cs
pcmcia_core            70868  3 orinoco_cs,ds,yenta_socket

> Once your system recognizes the wireless ethernet controller,
> you need wireless-tools to configure it, but that is second.
>
> Have you installed wireless-tools?

I did install that.

> Also, I found that the resolvconf package was good for making
> sure I had DNS setup correctly every time.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks, and thanks for your reply.

It was also mentioned in another mail that I might have to exclude
some address ranges for this card to work.  That solution was
mentioned on the pages that I saw while googling around as well.  The
solution I found on the net did not work for me.  How do I know what
ranges to include and exclude.  More importantly, what am I excluding
these address ranges from and why?

>> I have a fresh Sarge install on my Sony Vaio pcgr505 that I am
> trying to
>> get a wireless pcmcia card installed under.  cardctl ident sees the
> card
>> as "Agere Systems Wireless PC Card Model 0110, so I added the
> following
>> lines to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:
>>
>> card "Agere Systems Wireless PC Card Model 0110"
>>    manfid 0x0156, 0x0003
>>    bind "orinoco_cs"
>>
>> After doing an lsmod and making sure that orinoco, orinoco_cs, and
> the
>> hermes modules are loaded, I insert the card and get a message
> telling
>> me that:
>>
>> kernel: eth2: failed to read MAC address!
>>
>> on inserting the card I get one beep and one boop.  I get one beep
> when
>> removing the card.
>>
>> I have done _no_ configuration of the network params for this card.
>> am not sure why it chose eth2.  I have only one other interface in
> this
>> vaio, and it is the eepro.
>>
>> I have searched google and have tried the one fix that I found.  It
>> involved changing "include port" lines in the config.opts file, but
> it
>> didn;t work for me.
>>
>> More info can be sent on request.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> rdc

Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

If your life was a horse, you'd have to shoot it.