Re: Dial-up modem 'No CARRIER'

Try using kppp.  It is a lot easier to use and configure since it is
graphical.

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 14:18 +0100, marc wrote:
> Koen Vermeer said...
>
> > On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 19:06 +0100, marc wrote:
> > > The laptop modem is dialing and exchanging with the ISP. Then, 24 times
> > > out of 25, all I get is 'NO CARRIER'. Very occasionally, I connect
> > >
> > > I've tried both wvdial and KPPP in KDE. When I boot into XP, the modem
> > > connects successfully 100% of the time - so the wiring, hardware and ISP
> > > are fine.
> > >
> > > I read somewhere that nic interrupts might clash, so I've ifdown'd that,
> > > and I've also tried lowering the line speed don to 9600.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on how to improve things?
> > >
> > > I'm on 2.3.13 etch.
>
> > Maybe you could tell us what kind of modem you've got...
>
> Sorry, I posted before disappearing for the night, and realised I should
> have provided more info.
>
> The modem is:
>
> 0000:00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6
> Family) AC'97Modem Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 007a
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
> I/O ports at e200 [size=256]
> I/O ports at e300 [size=128]
> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>
> PCI id:
> 0000:00:1e.3 0703: 8086:266d (rev 04)
>
> (which is supported here, as an alternative,
> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/index.php
> I haven't tried the free version yet, though, because although the docs
> mention Debian, there isn't a package, only the sources.)
>
> I'm using sl-modem-daemon. My location is the UK, which is what I have
> selected in the sl-modem-daemon configuration.
>
> > The last time I used my modem is almost a year ago. I got it to work by
> > using its ALSA driver, but I think I remember that I experienced
> > problems with wvdial. Some carrier detect problem, badly documented
> > somewhere on the insane wvdial homepage. I think I got around it by just
> > using 'ppp on' or something like that. But all of this may not apply to
> > your modem, of course.
>
> Yeah, it's a shame. It's just a lot easier to go into XP! wvdial is
> okay, but ppp looks horribly complicated - with no guarantee that things
> will work. (I'm going to try using pppconfig that someone suggested on
> the .user list.) But this is just a carrier detect problem - hardly
> modem  rocket science. Everything else works, and we know that all the
> hardware works.
Try using kppp.  It is a lot easier to use and configure since it is
graphical.

> Is there a "carrier sniffer" out there? Since modems have been around
> since the beginning of time, it would seem an obvious diagnostic tool to
> have been developed. After all, there is a carrier there. Heck, the
> software has even found it a few times.

I would try connecting to the same ISP from the same machine running
windows to eliminate the modem drivers if you have a dual boot.  I would
try connecting to a different ISP from linux if there is any you can
try.  Those would be the first 2 tests I tried.