Re: How does one control fans?

Frank said...

> > Thanks for sharing this. I'll definitely be using it. At the moment, I
> > could simply add
> > # modprobe acpi_cpufrq
> > at the start of the script for it to work, but I'd like to understand
> > what acpi_cpufreq is doing - Koen says it's a " cpufreq processor
> > driver", so that's where I'll start.
>
> I guess he means the driver saying which kind of cpu-frequency-scaling to use.
> E. g. I have an AMD Turion processor, so I use powernow_k8. I don't know
> which processor you have and which module corresponds to it.

I've now discovered
/lib/modules/<kernel name>/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq
so I know the options.

I've tried most in the list - not the ones that are obviously
inappropriate, at least, obviously inappropriate by their name - and I'm
trying to discover how to uncover which is the best and why.

If this is written down anywhere, then I'd love to know.

FWIW

mote:~/Desktop# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 13
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 798.101
cache size      : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmovpat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx est tm2
bogomips        : 1598.38

--
Best,
Marc