Re: KDE vs Gnome

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 07:38 +1000, Arjen Verweij wrote:
> I think I used debfoster for this once (or was it deborphan?) to get rid
> of KDE and it was an exceedingly tedious job.

Well, I'd simply just do an apt-get remove --purge on all of the kde
metapackages.  It might not get absolutely everything, but it'd get most
things.  Then after that, run deborphan.  I've personally found
deborphan to not be exactly confident in its selection, or should I say,
it's package selection [for removal], doesn't really make you 100%
confident that the package is indeed an orphan and can be safely
removed.  Removing Gnome is a lot more tedious, as it lacks metapackages
like kde.  You could just try removing gnome, gnome-core,
gnome-desktop-environment and nautilus via the apt-get remove --purge
option, it should pick up *most* things.  Sadly, doing so means that
you'd lose things like grip (if you're using a kde desktop), or k3b (if
you're intending on using a gnome desktop).  I guess that's where it'd
be nice to see a QT version of grip, and a gtk2 version of k3b ;-)

Dave