Re: keeping a module from loading - sarge install

Nate,

What type of laptop? I have an HP dv1000 series laptop that I get the same
problem. The seg Fault is with S36discover. I am in the process of typing
a walkthrough to get around it.

The problem is not just discover, it is also hotplug. Hotplug hangs on the
older usbcore module in the install kernels on some laptops.

Here is a break down:

1.> Install Sarge normally, either 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.

2.> on the first boot change grub or lilo options to include "init=/bin/sh"
        After about 30 seconds you will be given a bash shell

3.> remount root partition. "mount -o rw,remount /"

4.> Either uninstall discover and hotplug or move init scripts.

    a.> uninstall
          "dpkg -P discover1; dpkg -P  hotplug"

    b.> move init scripts
          "mv /etc/rcS.d/S36discover /tmp/"
          "mv /etc/rcS.d/S40hotplug /tmp/"

5.> remount root partition ro. "mount -o ro,remount /"

6.> Reboot (you will have to hit the reset button)

7.> The machine will now start normally. go through the base-config to
setup the apt repos and then stop.

8.> use apt to install latest discover and hotplug

     "apt-get update; apt-get install discover2 hotplug"

9.> reboot system. "shutdown -r now"

10.> the system will then come up normally, rerun base-config and finish
setting up your system.

I have tested this on 2 dv1000's, 3 dv4000's, an r3000z, and a v2000. It
should work on any system that hangs in discover on boot.

Hit me with an e-mail if you have any questions.

--Philip