Re: A lot of noise in my sound card...

Also sprach Jansen Carlo Sena <jansen@comunidadesol.org> (Wed, 31 Aug
2005 12:15:56 -0400):
> Hi friends,

Hi Jansen,

> I bought a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop and I installed Debian sarge on
> it. For now, everything is working, except the sound card. The driver I
> am using is intel8x0.
>
> Well, a read a lot of things on the Intenet about this driver and I did
> a lot of them but my problem is not solved: when I boot my computer and
> try to use my sound card I get a poor quality sound with noises.
> [...]

Have a look at /etc/modprobe.d/sound. You can use options for then
module when loaded. "modinfo snd-intel8x0" will show you a list of
availible options.

<snip>
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0 id=i810 buggy_irq=1
</snip>

You can also just use /etc/modules to load it with the propper options
at startup.

<snip>
snd-intel8x0 index=0 id=i810 buggy_irq=1
</snip>

Another thing to try is to make a custom kernel with some of the
sound/alsa modules compiled _in_ (as opposit to use modules). This
sometimes solves problems on certain hardware. But leave at least
snd-intel as module.

> [...]
> I am using Debian sarge with kernel 2.6.8-2-686.

I think there has been a bugreport about intel8x0 for the kernel.
This should be solved with IIRC 2.6.12/13. Have a look at the
changelogs (ftp.kernel.org / mirror) - this may/may not have to do
with your problem.

> [lsmod]
>
> snd                    57156  10
--- lsmod | grep intel ==> After run alsaconf and the system is running
> [...]
> snd                    57156  9

Funny. Maybe something got loaded twice. Have you already tried to
rmmod all the sndmodules and do "/etc/init.d/alsa restart"?

> Regards,
>
> Jansen

sl ritch