Re: touchpad too sensitive

David Reviejo <dreviejo@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Hi Andy,
>
> * Andy Dolbey <andy.dolbey@gmail.com> [050729 09:33]:
>> I've tried using tpconfig to disable tap mode, but that doesn't fix
>> this problem.  It's almost like I need to just turn the touchpad off
>> completely while I'm typing text.
>
> Try "syndaemon", from the xfree86-driver-synaptics package; see
> "man syndaemon".

David, Dominique,

Thanks for the pointers. Googling turned up a couple of really helpful
documents:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad
    http://furius.ca/techdoc/misc/thinkpad.html#touchpad

The ones I reference from my own document
(http://www.newt.com/debian/thinkpad-t40p/) are pretty old now. If you
have a favorite Touchpad/Debian/Thinkpad document (in that order) let
me (us) know.

It's been a couple of years since I first configured my ThinkPad. I,
too, had the issue with an overly sensitive touchpad and was never
successful in using the Synaptics driver and didn't know about
syndaemon--if it existed at all. Neat! At the time, I punted and
turned the Touchpad off in the BIOS. Interestingly, with the Touchpad
on, the middle mouse button didn't work but started working as soon as
the Touchpad was turned off in the BIOS.

I've since upgraded my BIOS and I'd imagine the Synaptics driver has
gotten better. With the help here, Maybe I should take another shot at it.