Re: how to update packages now sarge is stable?

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 22 July 2005 19:29

To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org

Subject: Re: how to update packages now sarge is stable?

Lee wrote:

> hi

> I have had sarge installed on a dell latitude c400 laptop for, I

> guess, a couple of years - more or less since Sarge moved to

> "Testing". I used to use the "testing" tree for apt-get depositories

> until a few weeks ago when Sarge was about to go stable at which point

> I started using the apt-get alias "sarge" in order to maintain the

> transition.

> I now find myself with a laptop that is set up exactly how I want it -

> I know how it works and it knows me.

> What do I now do about package updates? For example, I am running

> Firefox version 1.0.4 and version 1.0.5 has now been released. The

> depositories still have 1.0.4 available.

It is called repository not depository.

oops - quite correct. it's been a long and violent week here in London. ;-)

The stable distribution has the unique feature that packages in it will

not be upgraded unless there is a security fix. Only when new stable

version is released and only when you update the machine to that new

stable version then you will have newer packages. So, until etch (the

next stable release) is released, you will not have new version of

firefox in stable. In any case, there will not be a new version of

firefox in sarge (except for a security fix).

The only reason I wish to upgrade Firefox 1.0.5 is precisely because it is a security fix and no update has yet been forthcoming. 1.0.5 has now been superceded by 1.0.6 but the issue remains.

Thanks also for explaining further regarding compiling from source and the structure of debian releases. It is some years since I last read these pages.

Lee