Re: Laptop fan won't stop

Joan Tur wrote:

Es Dimarts, 12 de Juliol de 2005 02:56, en GiveMeFish Lists va escriure:
| Hi all,
|
| I am new to Debian.  I just installed Debian 3.1 on my Gateway 450
| lap-top (which went extremely well, by the way).  It runs a 1.6GHz Celeron.
|
| The probelm I have is that the fan won't stop blowing, though the
| computer is not hot at all.  I installed only the Server set-up (with
| the 2.4.27 kernel), so I'm not using a graphical environment.  The fan
| will blow continuously from boot until shut down.  This is the case when
| I'm at the command line with no jobs running at all.  The air coming out
| the back is as cool as the room temperature.
|
| After searching around, it seems that it may be an ACPI and / or APM
| conflict.  A Mempis poster suggested that the 2.4.29 kernel solved a
| similar problem.
|
| Under WindowsXP, the fan would turn on intermittently as expected.  So
| I'm fairly sure it's a hardware issue (not somehow stuck to "permanently
| on" mode.)
|
| Where would I start looking for information on how to fix this problem?
| Any other suggestions?
First of all I'd try the latest 2.6 kernel, not a 2.4. Be sure to load your cpufreq module and to run an appropiate speedstep tool like cpudyn or powernow.

Good luck  ;)

| Thanks for your help,
| Matt.

Joan, list,

thanks for the advice.  Would you recommend cpudyn or powernow?

Do you know of any reason why the modules you listed (cpufreq, cpydyn and / or powernow) would have any problems running on a Celeron processor?

Thanks,
Matt.