failed ifup leaves device up

Hi,

whenever turning up network device fails (either because wireless signal is
too weak, or because a server, which is defined as a gateway is down) it
seems to me that ifup doesn't down network device, so that when I re-try
ifup later it fails because the device is already up. Is it a bug in
ifplugd, ifupdown, or my misconfiguration?

Best,

        Matej

You discover truth every time you use it.
      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com