Controlling which modules are loaded at boot

Dell Inspiron
sarge/2.4.27

Not strictly a laptop question this, but...
The last time I spent my quality time playing with debian this subject mostly came down to the contents of /etc/modules. I've just compiled a new kernel and although it's highly modular and I've emptied /etc/modules, all manner of guff is auto-loaded that I really just want to load manually as and when needed - especially on a battery powered laptop (eg hw_random, ide_cs for a pcmcia microdrive, ieee1394, and even the USB modules).

Can someone tell me where things have changed and what I should be doing to prevent auto-loading of anything I choose (or what I should be reading). At first glance it seems to be a mixture of the hotplug subsystem and some new hardware discovery utility? Does /etc/modules even have a worthwhile function anymore, or are we headed for a virtual plug and play "ah - we're so clever we know what all your hardware is and therefore insist on spinning your microdrives until your battery is dead wether you're using it or not" scenario? Ignore my cynicism, it just doesn't seem very linux-like anymore; we could have all this with windows 98.

Lastly, I'll be very grateful if someone explain and tell me how I can trace the failure in the following bit of boot message:

   usb.c: registered new driver hub
   uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v1.1
   uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xbf80, IRQ 11
   usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
   hub.c: USB hub found
   hub.c: 2 ports detected
   uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xbf20, IRQ 11
   usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
   hub.c: USB hub found
   hub.c: 2 ports detected
        uhci: loaded successfully
      pci      [success]