Problems installing software-suspend-2.1-rc2-for-2.6.8.1

Hello all !
I'm running a Dell laptop (it's an Inspiron 510m) with a Debian
GNU/Linux (Sarge, kernel 2.6.8-1).
I'm trying (hard) to use some power management to make my laptop sleep
when I think it's time to go to bed :-)
The problem is :

1) I first applied the patches in the package quoted in the subject of this post

2) I did a make -menuconfig in the current kernel source directory,
where I had a .config file that was used as default, so the only thing
I changed in my config is that I enabled the support for the enable
_suspend stuff.
A 'grep SUSPEND /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/.config' now gives the following :
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_CORE=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_WRITER=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_GZIP_COMPRESSION is not set
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_TEXT_MODE=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_RELAXED_PROC is not set
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEFAULT_RESUME2=""
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_KEEP_IMAGE is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_CHECKSUMS is not set

3) Then when I use my new kernel (with the resume2=swap:/dev/hda6
correct option in my /boot/grub/menu.lst), I get a segfault by the
/etc/rcS.d/S20module-init-tools when it tries to modprobe the ide-cd
module I use.
I don't know why it is so. Then the shitty thing is that my ethernet &
wireless interfaces can no longer be configured, and another segfault
comes when trying to modprobe the smartmontools.

Please notice that I first tried to use the latest version of
software-suspend (2.1.9.8-for-2.6.12), but the "apply" script told me
that it wouldn't be OK, so I took back the changes.

If interested, please find as an attachment the output by bootlogd.
Thanks in advance !

JB, Belgium.