Re: Notebook recomendation [was: Re: Sony Vaio S1702]

Jansen Carlo Sena wrote:
Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:

Dne út 5. července 2005 1:06 Micha Feigin napsal(a):

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:27:02 -0600

robsims@robsims.com (Rob Sims) wrote:

Avoid Sony.  The hardware itself is nice, but support is non-existent.
I've had a mini-tower and a notebook.  The integrated video on the
mini-tower died, the laptop had a pointer drift problem and a data
corruption (crashing) problem. Never got the tower fixed. The laptop's
first trip to the shop fixed the pointer.  The second trip fixed the
crashing problem, but broke the pointer again.

Also, the apps for the specialized hardware refused to admit they were
on a Sony computer after a Windows upgrade. Support wouldn't help. The
machines are both running sarge now, so the software issue is moot, but
it's a good indicator of Sony service.  Other brands have poor service
at best; only Sony computers have made my "don't buy" list.

I second that. I have a sony laptop. Cost 250$ to fix a problem that was
under the warenty (they replaced the parts at no charge, the cost is for
the work). BTW, the laptop had several other faults when it came back. As for support, whatever there is, its worthless. All they know is to send you some template emails and tell you to press the power button for 60 seconds
and if that doesn't solve the problem to send it in for repair. Same
problem with a camera with Sony France. Apparently its a world wide
problem.

I don't like to hear that as I am also going to buy Sony notebook soon. But I cannot find any other notebook fulfiling my requirements:

- 13-14" widescreen LCD
- nvidia graphics
- wifi
- DVD+/-RW-DL
- 3 hours battery life (extensible by second battery)
- bluetooth, weight <2kg and docking station are also welcome.

Do you know about some alternatives to Sony Vaio S4HP? I didn't find any, mostly because of nvidia graphics and smaller LCD. ;o(

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Mixi

Mixi,

my requirements are the same. I need a laptop with a 13" widescreen,
wifi, DVD-RW and 3 hours battery life. I never see a small laptop of HP,
for example.

Friends, are there any suggestions for me?!

Regards.

Jansen

I am becoming increasingly enticed by PDAs like the Zaurus 3100 http://www.dynamism.com/sl-c3000/index.shtml

There is a project dedicated to running Debian on the clamshell Zauri. It will not be long before these little device will satisfy people like ourselves.

- dan