Notebook recomendation [was: Re: Sony Vaio S1702]

Dne út 5. července 2005 1:06 Micha Feigin napsal(a):
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:27:02 -0600
>
> robsims@robsims.com (Rob Sims) wrote:
> > Avoid Sony.  The hardware itself is nice, but support is non-existent.
> > I've had a mini-tower and a notebook.  The integrated video on the
> > mini-tower died, the laptop had a pointer drift problem and a data
> > corruption (crashing) problem.  Never got the tower fixed.  The laptop's
> > first trip to the shop fixed the pointer.  The second trip fixed the
> > crashing problem, but broke the pointer again.
> >
> > Also, the apps for the specialized hardware refused to admit they were
> > on a Sony computer after a Windows upgrade.  Support wouldn't help.  The
> > machines are both running sarge now, so the software issue is moot, but
> > it's a good indicator of Sony service.  Other brands have poor service
> > at best; only Sony computers have made my "don't buy" list.
>
> I second that. I have a sony laptop. Cost 250$ to fix a problem that was
> under the warenty (they replaced the parts at no charge, the cost is for
> the work). BTW, the laptop had several other faults when it came back. As
> for support, whatever there is, its worthless. All they know is to send you
> some template emails and tell you to press the power button for 60 seconds
> and if that doesn't solve the problem to send it in for repair. Same
> problem with a camera with Sony France. Apparently its a world wide
> problem.

I don't like to hear that as I am also going to buy Sony notebook soon. But I
cannot find any other notebook fulfiling my requirements:

- 13-14" widescreen LCD
- nvidia graphics
- wifi
- DVD+/-RW-DL
- 3 hours battery life (extensible by second battery)
- bluetooth, weight <2kg and docking station are also welcome.

Do you know about some alternatives to Sony Vaio S4HP? I didn't find any,
mostly because of nvidia graphics and smaller LCD. ;o(

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Mixi