Speedstep problem: empty /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0

I am running a custom 2.6.8 kernel on a Dell Inspiron 5000e, Pentium
III (Coppermine) processor. My problem is that the
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0 directory is empty, which causes problems
when I try to run cpufreqd. I think this is just becase the speedstep
driver isn't loaded, but when I try to modprobe any of the speedstep
drivers in the modules directory it complains:

% sudo modprobe speedstep-centrino
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino
No such device

Thanks for any help,