Re: Man pages are going crazy

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Benedek Frank wrote:

Hi

I have a Debian Sarge 2.6.11 kernel Vaio Picturebook, and I added Japanese
support by adding this to my Xsession file

[cut]
SInce I have done this, my Man pages will not work anymore. What can I do to
get them back?

man is trying to give you japanese man pages.

The man pages are typically broken for any locale other than C anyway:
trying to use funky emdash characters instead of - for example:

If you want to see the man pages in japanese, try installing jless
as your pager instead of less.

Otherwise, you may want to alias man to something that purges all language
settings from your environment (sets them all to C, including LANG and LANGUAGE) and then actually calls man.