Arjen Verweij wrote:

I don't think you can shrink ReiserFS or XFS, but I might be wrong.

danny wrote:

On 2005-06-06, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <riteshsarraf@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
       How good is it to have the installation on notebook on LVM2 ?

I have been using LVM on my servers, desktops, laptops for years,
could'nt live without it. I usually only use it as 'instant partition
magic'.

I read that with LVM2 Logical Volumes can be resized on the fly.

Thats true, that is, you can grow on the fly (without umount) but for
shrinking you need to umount. I am not sure that all filesystems support
online growing, but at least reiserfs does.

Also will having my swap as a Logical Volume create problems for the
suspend/resume feature to work ?

Depends. If you are using swsusp and you want to suspend on swap on LVM
you need swsusp2 and fiddle with the initrd. But nothing stops you from
using swap outside LVM (and you usually want / also outside) and the
rest inside. I usually partition with three partitions, one 128M for /,
twice the RAM for swap and the rest as one LVM PV under which I put all
the rest. (/usr, /var, /home, ...)