Re: Standby/Resume works only during Grub

On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 14:02 +0200, Frank wrote:
> > With ACPI disabled, you may have to "modprobe apm" to get APM to work as
> > well.
>
> I think this pins down my problem: I am running Debian-AMD64, including a
> 64bit kernel and in 64bit kernels there is no APM support. :-(
>
> So I guess this is the reason, why it worked in Archlinux, because I was using
> a 32bit kernel there with APM support. And is it possible, that during the
> Grub "boot loader stage" APM also works?

It's very strange if you have an AMD64 laptop which doesn't work with
ACPI.  What model of laptop is it?

Other than the known broken suspend /resume with ATI proprietary linux
drivers (issue 218 on the ATI website) I would have thought that every
laptop made in the last couple of years would have reasonable ACPI
support.  For an AMD64-based model I would think it even more likely.

I would suggest you ask some questions on the debian-amd64 list, where
you will likely find someone with the same model laptop who can tell you
exactly what you need to know.  I think most of the advice so far has
all been the-sort-of-thing-to-fiddle-with-on-i386-laptops, but doesn't
apply to AMD64.

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       Money doesn't talk, it swears.
                -- Bob Dylan