Standby/Resume works only during Grub

Hi list,

today I found something new on my laptop: While Grub is still on, the
Suspend-Button works. The laptop went into suspend mode and wakes up back to
the Grub menu, as it is supposed to. So my question is:

Which technology would be responsible for Suspend in this stage: Can it be
ACPI, APM or something further on the hardware side?

And more important:
What do I have to change to get this Suspend working with the running Linux
kernel: Configure and compile a new kernel (which options important?), pass
certain boot parameters, ...? I have had this working under Archlinux by
passing the boot option pci=noacpi. But this does not seem to help under
Debian?

So my current "getting suspend to work"-status is:
1. When I push the Suspend-button (Fn-F1) ... (console and X)
It just turns off the display and doesn't react to anything anymore (fan still
running), I have to do a hard reboot. This has nothing (?) to do with ACPI,
since acpi daemon is not running and I don't find any evidence of this
behaviour in the logs. Seems to be connected to the "Grub-Suspend", but as I
said: Here it doesn't wake up.

2. When I go the ACPI-way ("echo mem > /sys/power/state") ...
It suspends fine (?) but does not resume: no display, no keyboard, no ping
response. I have tried some advice from this list (e.g. acpi_sleep=* option),
no success.

Grateful for your hints to get either Suspend method working,
Frank