Re: ALSA help!

> I have always had issues gettign sound to work on this machine, but I
> decided to attack it in earnest.
>
> I cannot seem to get it to work.  I have tried everything.
>
> esd says /dev/dsp does not exist (it clearly does)
>
> XMMS gives me the standard Be sure nothing is blocking your Soundcard.
>
> arts gives me the basic cannot find device.
>
> I am part of audio group.
>
> Anyone have a process (ground up) that gets this workin?

debian used to come with a program called sndconfig that always did
the trick for me.  I know this is not a "ground up" approach, but
maybe worth a try.  btw - it's only available in woody, though.

Also - if you *just* added yourself to the audio group... you need to
completely log out , then log in again.

HTH.
That was a funny post, BTW.

--