Re: Debian Sarge + madwifi : cannot bring up interface ath0

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:23 -0400, Dominique Orban wrote:

> > You should be able to issue the commands that ifup does manually, like
> > so:
> >
> > ifconfig ath0 up
> > iwconfig ath0 essid "your ss id"
> > dhclient ath0
> >
> > ... and it would seem likely that the problem is occurring in the
> > "iwconfig" line :-)
>
> I am thinking the issue is even before that because I can't 'ifconfig ath0 up'.
>
> % ifconfig ath0 up
> ath0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

In that case the modules either (a) are not loaded, or (b) are loaded,
but are (somehow) configured to name a different interface...

What does 'lsmod' show?  What does 'ifconfig -a' show?  Do the above
commands work after you have done 'modprobe ath_pci'?

> The behavior doesn't appear consistent---sometimes I boot with the
> card cold plugged and it is detected. Sometimes not. Is there a way to
> restore all the Debian configuration scripts without having to
> re-install?

You can tell Debian to re-install any package by:

apt-get --reinstall install <package>

Of course this might silently not overwrite changes to your
configuration in some cases.  If it overwrites any configuration things
it should prompt you as to whether overwriting is OK... otherwise it's a
bug! :-)

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
It is truth which you cannot contradict; you can without any difficulty
                      contradict Socrates. - Plato