pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-bf2.4 wants to uninstall

Hi all,

I recently installed debian woody from CD-ROM images I downloaded a year or
two ago on my Toshibe laptop (2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel).  During the install the
system said that I didn't need the PCMCIA packages and asked if I wanted to
uninstall them, so I did...

Well, no surprise, the PCMCIA support wasn't installed.  I installed pcmcia-cs
and pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-bf2.4 and everything worked fine.  So I added the
network install locations to sources.list and continued with installation
from there.

At some point during this process, pcmcia-modules-* went away (very
inconvenient since my network card is a PCMCIA card).  I tried to install
pcmcia-modules from the CD-ROM again, but it complained about an
incomatibility with the kernel.  So I used dpkg to install the older kernel
package from the CD-ROM, then reinstalled pcmcia-modules-* for it.  So the
system is fine now, but when I tried apt-get update/dist-upgrade the only
thing it wants to do is uninstall pcmcia-modules-* without installing a new
version, which is very much NOT what I want to happen.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?  Was this package replaced with
something else?

michaelMuller = mmuller@enduden.com | http://www.mindhog.net/~mmuller
We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams
 - Arthur O'Shaughnessy