Re: sarge X

Also sprach Emmanuele Salvati <emmanuele.salvati@gmail.com> (Thu, 19 May
2005 10:49:34 -0400):
> hello everyone,
>
> i'm trying to install sarge on a Toshiba Satellite A65 S1067, i can't
> get X running.
> when i startx, it gives me this error:
>
> (EE) VGA(0): Depth 16 not supported by this driver
>
> Fatal server error:
> AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
>
> i guess it has something to do with xf86config, but i don't know what
> (i'm not very expert) can somebody help me, please?

you may have choosen the wrong driver for your model. it's in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

<snip>
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NEOMAGIC"
        Driver          "neomagic"
EndSection
</snip>

the value you use as Driver "xxx" depends on the graphic chip in your
laptop. in my case  it's from neomagic. "# lspci", the manual or a look
at [1][2] might help to identify it.

the depth settings are there too. if you chip doesn't support (unlikely)
16bpp try 15 or 24 as Default in XF86Config-4.

you can change it by running "# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" or
manual edit if you already have changed this file by hand.

man XF86Config-4 should give you a list of supported chipsets (at the
bottom). for even more information on specific chips see
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/

[1] http://www.linux-laptop.net
[2] http://tuxmobile.org

> --