Re: Woody vs Sarge vs debian variants on older equipment

dbp lists wrote:
I've run woody on a server at home for years now and have enjoyed just
using it.  I've read,
however, that if I'm going to go with straight debian on a laptop -
it's better to go
with Sarge.   I'm pretty confused now.  Antoher thing I'm not sure
about is if I should go with
kernel 2.4 or 2.6.  I don't plan on using any fancy peripherals, esp
since the laptop
doesn't have usb 2.0, only 1.1.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Personally, I would go with Sid. I'm running it on all desktop-class machines (2 notebooks, one desktop). Choosing between Sarge and Woody, I would go with Sarge for a notebook. The new installer, 2.6 kernel, newer XFree86, newer window managers etc. are worth it. It's officially frozen now, so should become the new stable branch "real soon now"(tm), so no big issues should appear.

I never had a Cisco card, so I don't know what chipset it uses, but having hotplug, pcmcia support and wireless-tools installed, you have a big change of having the card autodetected. You might need to have to configure it by hand, however. ("might" meaning here "I always do it manually so I don't know if there is any clicking tool for it").

HTH.

j.

"We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk of
any management." -- Dilbert
:wq