Re: Woody vs Sarge vs debian variants on older equipment

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 18:24, dbp lists wrote:
> I've run woody on a server at home for years now and have enjoyed just
> using it.  I've read, however, that if I'm going to go with straight
> debian on a laptop - it's better to go with Sarge.
> I'm pretty confused now.  Antoher thing I'm not sure about is if I
> should go with kernel 2.4 or 2.6.

The main difference is in how the kernel supports your hardware. The Woody
installer uses a fairly ancient kernel which may not support your
hardware properly and cause problems during the installation.
The RC3 version of the installer for Sarge [1] has a choice of either the
2.4.27 or 2.6.8 kernel (see Fx helpscreens) and much better hardware
detection (and is more user friendly in general).

What kernel you should go with depends entirely on your hardware. Some
systems seem better supported by 2.4.27, others by 2.6.8.
Some others have acpi problems with 2.6.8 and are happier with the
2.6.10/11 kernels available in unstable, although you can only upgrade to
those after installation.

Ubuntu uses basically the same installer as Debian Sarge, but with a
2.6.10 kernel and therefore works better in some cases.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/