Extending the size of my display

My laptop (Toshiba Satellite 2430-S255) display can do 1024x768.
However, I have it connected to a monitor most of the time which can
handle higher resolutions. I would like to configure it so that I can
increase the resolution when connected to the monitor and then
decrease it when I'm disconnected. However, no matter how I configure
the display, it always goes to just 1024x768.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@gmail.com>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp: <http://mcpierce.mypage.org>