Problems logging in to X-windows [KDE]

Hi all

I installed debian woody then upgraded to testing. I installed KDE,kdm,
x-widow-system + core and the xserver, and its all configured and running.

The only problem i have is that when i try to login using kdm it
refuses. It says the password is ok, the login screen dissapears (as it
should after you login) and then reappears. I try logging in again and
the same happens. It never loads KDE, it just returns me to the login
screen.

I have tried kdm and gdm, both exzibit the same problem, i cannot figure
out what is wrong.

If i login at the console and type startx then kde loads and all is
well, so its a problem with logging in graphically.