Frozen touchpad after resume

Hi all,

I've come a long way towards getting suspend-to-ram working on a whitebox
centrino machine with a 855GM chipset and a 2.6.11 kernel. A script from
David Härdeman has solved the common blank-screen-on-resume issue, using the
vbetool utility. (I can provide this script to anyone interested.)

However, on resume the touchpad is inoperative. This occurs with both the
synaptics and the PS2 drivers.

After resume, /dev/input/event1 - which is assigned to the touchpad
automatically - has disappeared, as has /dev/input/mouse0. Recreating these
nodes manually has no effect.

Also, the entries in /proc/bus/input/devices and /proc/bus/input/handlers
relating to the touchpad have disappeared.

Restarting X does not fix it; restarting hotplug creates a device ~/input2
which refers to a PC speaker device (?!), but still no ~/input1.

Rebooting puts it all back to normal.

My questions are: how are the above device nodes and file entries created? Is
there a possible workaround? Can devices be made permanent? Could this be a
kernel bug? Etc.

BTW, I use udev and my psmouse support is compiled as a module.

Thanks,

John O'Hagan