Re: Kernel-2.6.8 on Acer 8100 series

On Sunday 01 May 2005 07:03, Gustavo Tourinho wrote:
> Ive just instaled sarge (kernel 2.4) on a acer 8103 and its okey.
> After upgraded the kernel (apt-get install kernel-images-2.6.8-2-686)
> and reboot the system, the boot just HALT after the message
> "Uncompressing linux...."
> So, I put the flag "acpi=off" on boot parameter. But now I have another
> problem.

This could maybe be fixed by using a 2.6.10 kernel.

> Im getting kernel panic with this message.
> /sbin/init: 431: cannot open dev/console
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init

Seeing as you have a SATA controller, the most likely cause is that your
disk devices have changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sda with the switch from
2.4 to 2.6.
You will have to edit your bootloader configuration and /etc/fstab to
reflect this change.

The other possibility is that the driver needed for your harddisk
controller is not being included in the initrd for the 2.6.8 kernel.