X on laptop going nuts

See the following link to paint the picture. This would only happen when logging out of X to shutdown. The machine is then unresponsive and the only was to shut it down is to kill the power.

Further at times booting on battery power, X would not start and the system again is unresponsive, but the screen would only be blank.

Finally, this was not occuring when I first purchased the laptop. Personally I believe it to be an XF86Config-4 issue.

Software: Debian Sarge, Linux 2.6.8, nVidia binary drivers.

http://anticd.org/~sime/laptop_screen.JPG
http://anticd.org/~sime/XF86Config-4

-sime