Re: Linux laptop advice needed

David Lightman wrote:

Hi there,

I'd like to buy a laptop in a few weeks. I'd like to here some experiences on it's usability with linux. First of all there are some models which match my budget and the hardware I'd like to get.

 - Acer Aspire 1692WLMi
 - Acer Extensa 4101WLMi

For the first one I couldn't find any usefull information on its usability running linux. The second one was mentioned as a bit problematic. I'd like to have accelerated 3D drivers running, e.g. battery status usable, acpi stuff and software suspend working. Anyone here who has experience with these products? I also have a bad feeling about ati drivers, especially with x700, which I never used before. Are they usable e.g. for playing enemy territory on linux, does x work without any problems, or should I stay with nvidia geforce 6600? Do those PCIe based graphic cards generally work on linux in a usable way or is there at least planned support for the next weeks or months?

The other product which looks interesting for me is an AOpen 1559 Barebook because it has a geforce based graphic card and is not that expensive, but I can't find any information on it expect for the specifications. Any experience with a laptop based on it especially with using it on linux?
- http://solution.aopen.com.tw/products/nb/1559-AS.htm

At last I'd like to here about some suggestions on laptops for running linux which should match these specs:
 - Centrino, Pentium-M 1.6Gh
 - x700 or geforce 6600 graphic card
 - 512MB Ram
 - 60 GB Harddrive
 - Wlan
 - DVD +-RW
 - 15" display with reslotution higer than 1024x786

Thanks for your advice,
    Dave

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1150.. everything works except for the software suspend (never bothered setting it up, I have no use for it).

(you should go for Intel Extreme Graphics/NVIDIA however NVIDIA's drivers may cause the computer to crash.. atleast from own experience)

Anders