Re: Low resolution on external monitor with Fujitsu notebook

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 01:05:53AM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragão wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Apologies if this is not the adequate list. Suggestions for other lists
> > will be more than welcome.
> >
> > I have a laptop with an 800x600 maximum resolution LCD connected to an
> > external monitor with 1024x768 maximum resolution. xfree86 is accepting
> > resolutions <= 800x600, because the video card says it has an 800x600
> > panel.
> >
> > How do I make xfree86 use the 1024x768 resolution ?
> >
> > My laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook E342.
> >
> > I'm attaching the XFree86.0.log.
> >

> - From the logs it looks like either your monitor (external) isn't configured
> properly or doesn't have support for it.
>
> rrs
> - --
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf
> RESEARCHUT -- http://www.researchut.com
> Gnupg Key ID: 04F130BC
> "Stealing logic from one person is plagiarism, stealing from many is
> research."
> "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Ritesh,

I'm suspecting that it's the video card which isn't properly configured:

(--) TRIDENT(0): Found Cyber 9388 chip
(--) TRIDENT(0): RAM type is SGRAM
(--) TRIDENT(0): Using HW cursor
(--) TRIDENT(0): VideoRAM: 2048 kByte
(--) TRIDENT(0): TFT Panel 800x600 found

After this, the 1024x768 resolution is dropped.

I'm using the 'trident' video driver but couldn't find how to configure
it to recognize the external monitor.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

Paulo