Re: Anyone with an IBM T21?

Howdy all,

I was fortunate that Kevin Locke <kwl7@cornell.edu> replied to my question,
and off-list we exchanged notes (my questions, his responses) on the T21.

As soon as I'd added CONFIG_YENTA=y, the power-on LED in the 802.11 card
(Linksys WPC11) lit up, the autoconfig phase of boot had lots of nice new
diagnostics and so on. I knew the two 802.11 cards I have are fine, both
work in my Sony 505tx running FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE, but I didn't know if my
T21 had been damaged (difficult physical environment involving many small
children). I just hadn't connected the dots between CardBridge and PCMCIA.

However, what still didn't happen at run-time was recognition of the network
interface -- the card isn't the driver, and pcmcia/{orinoco,hermes}.o were
not being loaded by modprobe. I'd configured these to be included in the
kernel image, not loaded at run-time, so I was and remain modestly suprised
by this, but set CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=m, and rebuilt and rebooted.

After boot, as su'd user, the network interface existed, and when dhclient
was run the Tx/Rx LED started winking, syslog started scrolling, and an ip
address was acquired from a local SoHo router/nat node, and I was able to
ping a remote host.

Removal/re-insertion and re-acquisition of a dhcp-served address works
within a single power-on sequence, which is nice. So now I've a T21 2647
68U 2.6.11.7/3.1 system with a working 802.11 for both a Lucent Orinoco
Silver and a Linksys WPC11 cards. I'm a happy camper, with no parts newer
than 1Q2001.

Next is packet-radio.

Should anyone need their hand held with a T21 feel free to contact me.

Cheers all,
Eric