Re: Kernel 2.6.xx

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:37:00PM +0200, Atanas Atanasov wrote:
> I will keep in mind that sarge uses 2.6 kernel. I am asking for it
> because I read in many sites that this kernel runs well with laptops
> and it contains many improvements from 2.4. Actually I started
> downloading woody and I have the first several CD-s. Isn't it possible
> just to recompile the core from 2.6 sourcecore and to make it run
> fine, or you suggest sarge as a more innovative distro supporting
> laptops without a lot of bothering.

I would use this and install sarge not woody on a laptop, the newest
installer is great, I tired it out yesterday, and it even has some
wireless network card modules.

You can boot the installer with "linux26" at the prompt (press F3 for
all the other boot options) and it will give you a 2.6 kernel.

Woody is a great release, extremely stable and well supported with
security patches, however for a laptop, that is unlikely to be used as
a server for example (although some folks do) I would go with sarge
instead.

--
Angelina Carlton