Re: Toshiba battery dead

Well, you could fiddle with a voltmeter (don't forget to have a resistor
in line if you want to do so), but what you describe is fully consistent
with a dead/dying battery.  They do have a finite lifespan.  The only
real way to check is to get a new battery (unless you want to risk
damaging your computer.)

As far as having a problem with your computer's charger, I'd rate that
as highly unlikely, given the description of your problem.  If your
charger were bad, you would go from having OK battery life to none at
all, instead of gradually worsening.  Going from really, really bad
battery life to no battery life counts as "gradually worsening" for the
purposes of my comment.

-Ian