Re: Computer freezes frequently. What is wrong?

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 02:22, astrid jurgensen wrote:
> Hello,
>    I recently installed Debian Linux 3.0 rev. 4 (woody) on my
> Toshiba Satellite A70 Laptop computer, and I am having serious
> problems with it. The computer freezes frequently, at what
> appears to be random places. I've had it freeze on me while
> runnning x-windows, at a command prompt with x-windows not
> running, at the login and password prompts (x-windows not
> running), and during boot-up. The only way to recover is to
> turn the computer off and turn it on again.
> How do I fix this very annoying problem?
>
> Cheers,
>        Astrid.

Check with 'top' the average cpu usage after using the computer for a while.
What i'm trying to find is exessive cpu usage, and thus cpu heating.
Try to run the computer with out X for a while and see it the computer don't
slow down.
Run memtest for 24hours, just to be on the safe side.
I have seen something related to toshiba at the kernel compilation, but debian
stock kernel already include that. Worth a check.

good luck
kfir