Re: Laptop safe for flight in planes?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my former Laptop had no internal WLAN card so I was safe that it is no
> source of any radio frequencies.

Um? Actually...., you know your 1.4GHz machine? It emits 1.4GHz, as well
as every harmonic above - 2.8, 4.2, 5.6,.... Ghz. And if you are only
executing an instruction every n clock cycles, then you also emit at
1.4/n, 1.4*2/n, 1.4*3/n,.... Ghz.

So your laptop emits a whole mash of radio frequencies (you can almost
call it microwave, actually).

You can imagine that if you want to put a cluster at a radio telescope,
you have to enclose the entire cluster and air conditioner in a faraday
cage.

Anyone seeking the "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics" soft option
course, may wish to leave now. -- Intro lecture to RQM