Re: Xdm does not start after kernel compilation

jmr_071769 wrote:

> Alexander Toresson wrote:
>
> > I myself has added those ip* modules. Dunno if I need them. It was while trying to get my wireless nic to work.
> >
> > Anyway, do you know how to get fn-setup to work in linux?
> >
> > Regards, Alexander Toresson
> >

> unga bunga! what a ton of modules!
>
> here's a few things to consider:
>
> when you're compiling, consider all that nice info you've listed, strip
> out what you don't need (of course), and track down and compile the
> following *into* the kernel:
>
> -the proper chipsets ( ide/pci/agp/isa/southbridge)

ide chipset: Intel PIIXn
pci graphics card: neomagic
agp: system doesn't have anyone
isa: cs4237b soundcard, compatible with the cs4232 oss driver
southbridge: I didn't find any setting to change this. Actually, I don't
know what it is. I've compiled in support for the cardbus bridge, though no
setting was found to compile support for the PIIX4 bridges.

> -isa/pnp support

PNP and ISAPNP are compiled in.

> -your root filesystem type

Ext2 and ext3 are compiled in.

> those ip modules you added are most likely for ipv6 and firewalling with
> iptables. if your machine is directly connected to the internet, then
> it's a good idea to at least use iptables.
>
> as far as x goes, a good idea is to edit your /etc/inittab and set it to
> runlevel 3 instead of 5 to boot into console. that way, if x bails, you
> should still have an environment to work with.

I searched for info about runlevels, and runlevel 2-5 are the same on debian
systems. My default runlevel is runlevel 2. I have disabled xdm from starting
by placing 'exit 0' at the top at /etc/init.d/xdm. This works in my stock kernel.
I get a nice prompt for login. However, with me self-compiled kernel, the system
just stops when it's supposed to prompt me for login.

I tried starting the new kernel in recovery mode. In this mode, I got a prompt
to enter the root password, I did so, and then I was in. Almost everything but
X seems to be working. lspci displayed everything it displayed with the old kernel.
However, lspnp complained that /proc/bus/pnp didn't exist. And it didn't, even though
I compiled in support for pnp and isapnp. And there were also some minor things,
like I hadn't selected ad1848 support in the kernel config, which was needed by my
soundcard, and I hadn't compiled in support for usb-snd-audio, which is needed by
my midi interface. Another interesting thing was that the cd-rom device had moved
from /dev/hdc to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0. Also, /dev/hda (the hd) and /dev/hdb (floppy)
didn't exist, though they could be reached in a similar manner. May this have
serious impact?

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that there's something seriously wrong with my config.
It seems to be unable to display a normal login prompt, which may also affect X.

Regards, Alexander Toresson