Re: accelerated ATI Rage Mobility

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:22:01 +0100
Mauro Darida <robert@nonsense.com> wrote:

> 1. I want to retain debian xfree86 _and_ kernel 2.6
> Is this possible? I see the Mach64 driver is being developed under
Yes, I'm using it on my laptop currently (sarge).
> X.org; there is an older version under Xfree86 but requires a 2.4
> kernel?
2.4 drm code for mach64 can be easily ported to 2.6, I did it some time
ago, there is the patch for 2.6.10 (should work for other 2.6.x):
http://rainbow.mimuw.edu.pl/~mb197846/DRI/drm-2.6.10-20050220.patch.bz2
original code taken from:
http://rainbow.mimuw.edu.pl/~mb197846/DRI/mach64-dri-xv-20030413.i386.tar.bz2
(You need to copy .o and .so files to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/...., do
not run install.sh script!)
This file is from:
http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/dri_xv.html
but the page seems to be down now. Google mirror:
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:TcqeDvT_AEoJ:www.retinalburn.net/linux/dri_xv.html+retinalburn+mach64+mach64-dri-xv-20030413.i386.tar.bz2+&hl=pl&lr=lang_en|lang_pl

> 2. Compilation: as I understand I need an external specific
> kernel module, but why do they talk to compile X.org too??
For DRI acceleration you need kernel module (the code is in
drivers/char/drm/), which is an interface to graphics hardware,
and appropriate Xfree86/X.Org module
(/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mach64_dri.so), which uses this interface.
Dri is currently developed in X.Org tree, so if you want newest
features, you have to compile X.Org too.

The easy way is to install packages from:
http://www.nixnuts.net/files/
but this means installing X.Org, and (on my ATI Technologies Inc Rage
Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64) ) glxinfo shows: direct rendering: No

--
 Marcin Bis