Compiling 2.6.10 on a Satellite 2410

Hullo Every Body,
I have a Toshiba Satellite 2410 on sarge with current kernel
2.6.8, I want to compile 2.6.10 on it (is it the best I can
choose? or perhaps 2.6.9 or 2.6.8, I saw some problems with
intermodule refrences in it, that made some problems for slmodem
driver...), with support of soft suspend, I patched it, But now
I don't now how to configure the options of kernel to have the
best and also the smallest kernel... could you please help me
with your .config files and also your recommends?

Ragards,
Dawood