Re: Automatic wireless associating

Glyn Edwards wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had a satisfactory way of automatically
associating with known access points. I used to use waproamd but the
author now recommends wpa_supplicant. Has anyone else got this working
well with something like guessnet and the ifupdown system?
Currently if the wireless card is associated guessnet sets up everything
correctly however I am not sure what the best method is to ensure that
wpa_supplicant is run after the wireless pcmcia card is inserted and
before the interfaces is ifupped by something (hotplug?) Also does this
method work at startup?

Any advice/experience with this would be great

Glyn
I haven't done it on Debian, but waproamd works pretty well on a Gentoo machine I have. I think it's deprecated, though.

I thought I read somewhere that wpa_supplicant had built-in "stuff" to do access-point roaming... but I could very definitely be wrong on that one.

Nate