Re: prism54 and netgear wg511IS

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:35:29AM +0100, Mauro Darida wrote:
> hello,
> I want to buy a wifi card but I am having a hard time in identifying one which
> works with linux, because on the shelf I see cards with slightly different
> designations.
> For example, netgear wg511 *should* be supported by the prism54 driver, but is
> it also true for wg511IS ??

I have the WG511 it works great with linux (gentoo and debian ive used
it with) but when I bought it, I was told sometimes the vendor will
change the chipset inside without revising the product name.

For this reason I made sure that the store understood I would take it
home, try it and return it if it didnt work with linux. The store
manager had no problem with this, after all he would lose a sale if he
didnt agree.

Buying online however would be time consuming if you had to ship it
back and get another one if it didnt work.

http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php makes no mention that I can see
of a wg511IS and google.com/linux dosent either which would lead me to
choose the WG511 instead.

--
Angelina Carlton