Problem upgrading my kernel to 2.4

Title: Message
Hello list,
I've am new to Debian so this may seem trivial but it has really got me stumped.
I have recently upgraded my kernel from 2.2 to 2.4 on my woody system.  when I booted into the new kernel, my ethernet adapter didn't work.  I did an "ifconfig" and all it showed was the loopback device.  I couldn't remember which driver I used so I booted into the old kernel (I just added a new block to Lilo without removing the old kernel).  I found out which driver I had but now my system hangs when I try to boot back into the new kernel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom