Toshiba Satellite A50 and CD audio not audible

Hello,

I have a strange problem with my Toshiba Satellite A50-106 laptop and Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller. I am running Debian Sarge and 2.6.10 kernel. I have enclosed list of loaded kernel modules to this message in case it helped.

This laptop is equipped with Toshiba CD/DVD writer. It works as a CD/DVD drive reading CDR and DVDR discs, but I cannot make it play CD audio discs.

I have compiled all necessary kernel sound modules (loaded on-demand), checked settings of alsamixer (items: Master, Headphone, PCM, CD), aumix (items: Vol, PCM, CD), and of course hardware sound volume knob. While playing a CD audio with cdplay or xmms I know that it works and can hear no sound.

Oddly, I never had such problems with CD audio on Linux desktop machines.
I checked that this CD drives plays correctly CD audio discs under MS Windows XP Home.

Do you have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks for any clue,

Best,
Chris
--
Krzysztof Wilk                        chris@gridwisetech.com
Gridwise Technologies                 http://gridwisetech.com
Grid Consulting and Training          Serving US and Europe
Module                  Size  Used by
sg                     34976  0
isofs                  32184  0
zlib_inflate           17408  1 isofs
sr_mod                 16036  0
scsi_mod               82528  2 sg,sr_mod
thermal                10888  0
eepro100               27148  0
snd_intel8x0m          15428  0
8250_pci               17024  0
8250                   21572  1 8250_pci
serial_core            19456  1 8250
snd_intel8x0           28832  0
snd_ac97_codec         74080  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss            49316  0
snd_mixer_oss          18048  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                85640  4 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              21636  1 snd_pcm
snd                    46052  7 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7648  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          7812  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
uhci_hcd               31628  0
tsdev                   5952  0
psmouse                20360  0
evdev                   7680  0
ehci_hcd               41860  0
usbcore               118392  3 uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
e100                   33024  0
mii                     4224  2 eepro100,e100
nls_cp437               5632  1
ntfs                  216884  1
nls_base                6528  0
ide_cd                 38660  0