Re: CDROM drive reads too slow

Cabuz Alexandru wrote:
Hello,

I have noticed that my CD drive reads digital audio way slower than it should. I run cdparanoia and it seems like it's running at not more than 4x. It takes 15 minutes to rip a CD, even without encoding, just rip to wav.

I got DMA enabled which seems to change nothing.
If I try to force cdparanoia to read faster it just won't.

This is on my Dell Latitude D600, running sarge, with 2.6.9 kernel, with ide compiled into it.

But also on my home computer (which is not a laptop though and on which I have not recompiled the kernel), on which I am running Sid amd64 port off alioth same thing happens. I am starting to think it might be a kernel or a driver problem...

And on my home computer I have a dual boot with Windows 2000, and in Windows realplayer rips cds WAY faster, like 8 to 10 times faster than cdparanoia in Linux. So the drive CAN do it, it must be some kind of driver problem...

Hi,

I think cdparanoia uses some detection algorithms for scratches and other defects to get the highest quality possible.
Your drive might speed up with switching off these algorithms.

And there are some other ways to tune your drives with hdparm.

Kind regards,

Paul