Radeon Mobility 9600 issues

Hey folks.

I've got a Compaq nc6000 that has a 32 meg ATi Radeon 9600 mobility and
I've been trying to get it work with kernel 2.6.10's radeon module.

When I start X the module doesn't get loaded and if I modprobe it by hand
before starting X it doesn't get used. Is there some trick to getting this
to work? I'd like to have DRI if possible without using ATi's proprietary
drivers since those don't work with Software Suspend 2.

Here's the relevant part of XF86Config-4:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
	Driver          "radeon"
	BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"