Re: best practice for adapting to different environments?

Hi Drew,

I'm using the guessnet package to set the right cups server, but you
could also use it to set your smarthost.

A better solution may be to list all your smarthosts in exim. In most
cases, if the smarthost doesn't accept your mail, it will tell exim, and
exim can simply try the next listed smarthost. Ofcourse, this increases
the time it takes to get a message from your laptop to the right
smarthost somewhat (who knows, it may be one or two seconds...).

I've got this setup with postfix. I let it first try deliver the mail to
the smarthost I use at home, and then the one at work. (If all fails, it
tries localhost, so I can use ssh to setup a tunnel to my machine at
work.)

Also note that not all the packages you mention are for the same
purposes. I use guessnet to know on which network I am. I also use
ifplugd to manage the network device, so it is being set up as soon as I
plug the cable in my laptop.

I don't know if Debian needs to be cleaned up, but some documentation
that covers the packages and their strengths and weaknesses would be
nice.

Koen