ACPI and Screen Resolution :)

Greetings :)

I'm running Debian Testing on my laptop. Everything seems to be working
ok but I have two quick questions :)

The screen resolution seems fixed. My laptop is a Toshiba M3X-S149. The
video card is an intel 855 I believe. No matter what I set the
resolution to in the XF86CONFIG it never goes above 1024x768. Now the
weird thing is that when I plug it into an external monitor it actually
will go to a higher resolution ( Weird eh) Its not so bad but the
disparity between resolution causes my windows to all be sized wrong
when I switch between being docked at work and using it when im out and
about. Any ideas how to fix it?

And a quick ACPI question :)

It doesnt go to sleep when I shut the lid. Im running the 2.6.10 kernel
with the ACPI patches. It sees everything I think. I think I might be
missing some sort of userspace configuration to tell it to shut off or
go to sleep with the lid is closed?

Thanks,
Liz